Pages

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Semana santa procession

Well-today tired me out a lot more than I thought possible (walking in wet shoes also added a few new blisters...I hope my shoes dry for tomorrow)!! I am almost dead. I took my first nap of the camino (I think). The only thing that woke me up was the sound of drums and then music! I looked around and no one was in the albergue. Hmmmm...what was happening!! And then it came to me - everyone had told me about the procession the other night in Leon for the holy week (semana santa) and I figure they must be having a procession here.

I tried to jump out of bed but since every part of my body hurts - all I could do was slowly roll over and groan. But I made it out of bed and even remembered my camera. I hobbled down 2 flights of stairs (how evil is it to put the sleeping places at the top level?) And out the door. Since my place is right by the cathedral part of the procession started there. I walked along with it (and ducked into a shop to get a banana and orange for tomorrow) then I followed the procession to the main square where they met up with 4-5 other groups! So they all milled about there and their bands played and they carried super heavy statues and stuff. This lasted a really long time and I could barely stand. I eventually gave up and headed back to find my bed. It was a long slow hobble. Even little old men with canes were passing me and smiling...grrrrr...

Anyways - enough talking - I need sleep now. Here are my pics of the cathedral - I couldn't go in :( and the gaudi "castle" next to it - along with the processions. There are a lot so I hope they all upload!!

Tomorrow to Rabanal del Camino. Basically 21.5km uphill! The next part is all uphill for over 30km followed by a steep decent! Excellent...I love hills :p and it says the weather can be super bad and cold and horrible! Hhhmmmmm...what am I doing here?!? I can hear it pouring down with rain right now!!! Ahhhhhh

---

2 comments:

  1. Amazing photos Jacquie. Thank you for sharing with all of us - it must have been quite a spectacle. What will all of us do when you are finished with your pilgrimage? Take care of yourself. You are a champ!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking the same thing :) xxoo

    ReplyDelete