Pages

Thursday 28 April 2011

31 days of walking!!

I just finished day 31!!! Hurray!! And I finished 30km in record time! After yesterdays fiasco in the crappy municipal albergue I practically ran to Santa Irene so I could get a bed in the small private albergue!! Turns out I didn't need to run as it is no where near full-but I didn't want to take any chances!!!

This place is lovely! She even gave me a towel to use!!! Wow!! I think its a bit pricey and I seem to pay everything at the end (she is keeping a tab for me). This could end up expensive as I am having the lady do my laundry for me too (€12! What robbery!) But now I will have clean clothes to last the rest of the trip! I'll eat dinner here too to save walking the however far to find a bar to eat at! I hope its good!

So tomorrow - according to the signs - I have about 21km to Santiago!!! I could do it all in one day and arrive friday night, or I could just walk like 16km to Monte del Gozo and walk the final 5km all fresh and relaxed on Saturday morning. I think I like the second option. But I bet a lot of people have that idea and maybe it will be really crowded Saturday morning for the last 5km. Hmmmm...we'll see how I feel tomorrow I guess. I have some friends finishing tomorrow and some finishing on Saturday. I'll see who I run into and how I feel about walking tomorrow. But after so many long days in a row a couple short ones sound nice. But it would also be nice to wake up Saturday and not have to walk anywhere!!! I must say walking is getting a bit old now and I wouldn't mind being done!

But its kinda strange to think of finishing! I feel like I have been doing this forever. I can't imagine getting up and not walking. What will it feel like to get to Santiago after walking towards it for over 30 days?! And not meeting all the new people everyday...and seeing the old ones! Every day I know someone its like I have known them a year! And yesterday I saw a guy I haven't seen since just after Pamplona! I don't even remember how long ago that was but it felt like we were long lost friends! I met him twice weeks ago and we met last night and hugged (he was the old man I walked into Pamplona with and who gave me a foot massage when I was sick in Puente de la Reina). Really I know nothing about any of these people except we are walking across Spain together which makes a huge bond. And its funny to see the difference between talking to someone that started later to those of us that started in St. Jean. There is definitely some snobbery there! Soon I'll be able to say I walked 800km (500 miles) in a row!!! But then it will be done and the adventure will be over and I'll need to find something else to do! Hmmmm...I can see why some people do the camino over and over!

Ok...enough talking! I am going to enjoy the rest of the afternoon and read my book!!
---

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy the next few days. Don't worry about what comes next. You will have many things to do when you get back to London. Fun things.
    Laundry, shopping, cooking and cleaning. Back to the real world. Maybe even work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for your great pilgrimage and welcome to Santiago (I guess you'll be here tomorrow)!
    If you need any information at your arrival to the city, please contact me (cir.turgalicia@xunta.es)and I'll be happy to help you.
    Welcome again and enjoy it!
    Anna GarcĂ­a
    Community Manager of Turgalicia (The official Company for the Image and Promotion of Tourism in Galicia).

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done you - amazing job - who'd have thought eh? ;o)

    I vote for the two easy days but you know me he he. And don't worry you have the challenge of a 42km walk through the night when you get back - that will be weird - hope you can stay awake!!

    When are you back in London?
    x

    ReplyDelete