Pages

Friday 8 April 2011

Sleeping Quasimodo style!

Hola- sorry about the lack of updates today! Its been a very relaxed day! Canadian Ann and I left Santo Domingo around 8:00 this morning with the idea to either walk 7km or 28km. Well, we started off ok but its another hot one!! And since we were chatting so much we somehow lost the trail.

We talked about how we hadn't seen a yellow arrow in a long time - but that didn't deter us - we kept walking! Then we saw a city ahead of us, but it was on the side of the mountain and I said "but wait - we aren't supposed to walk uphill at all today." But we kept walking towards it.

Luckily a car came down the dirt road towards us. As he got closer we saw him shaking his finger at us. Uh oh - that isn't the normal wave people give to pilgrims. So he stopped and told us we were lost (in Spanish of course) and then because we looked so baffled he drew us a map (I have attached pictures). Luckily we weren't too far off track but we had a few corners and hills and then we finally saw Granon! We were saved. We arrived in town at 10am and sat down to have a rest at the bar. Ann was feeling a bit tired today and sore (maybe a lack of salt). So she had a few bags of chips and I had a few shandies. And pretty soon it was noon and we decided we better stay here - as it was getting super hot and we didn't want to walk anyways!

So we wandered over to the bell tower - where the Albergue is. We walked up and up and up and its just as good as we heard it was. A very communal place. We sleep on mats on the ground (hmmm...) But we all help cook a communal dinner and then there is breakfast at 8am!! And they have 2 rooms, one for the early risers (not me) and one for the people that like to sleep a bit (def. Me)!! Woo hoo! So should get to sleep past 630 tomorrow!!!

So then I was able to have a long amazing shower and then wash my clothes. Although washing clothes seems kind of a waste. Its more like rinsing them in a sink. The water turns brown immediately and no matter how much I rinse it never runs clear. Anyways...I can't wait to burn these clothes at the end of the trip!!

So yea-once I was clean and happy we went for a wander through town. Its really cute! Ann's guidebook actually suggests spending 2 nights here and there is a really nice hostel 1km outside town. We were going to walk and look at it this afternoon but it was just too hot!! So we walked to the end of town and back instead. Then we walked up to the very top of the bell tower - but sadly I didn't bring my blackberry so I don't have any pics of me up there to upload now-only on my real camera. But its pretty cool to be able to say I am sleeping in a bell tower and its donation based so if I didn't want to I could sleep and have dinner and breakfast for free!!!! I like this donativo thing (although I think I pay more than I otherwise would have because I feel bad...)

I think that's about it. We had a big lunch (I think that was before the shower) and then found some ice cream later this afternoon! Now just chilling at the bar again waiting for mass (yes - I am determined to go to mass tonight!!). So mass is in like 15 minutes then communal dinner at 8 and meditation time (hmmm...) At 9. I can stay up late tonight because I don't have to wake up until like 7:55 in time for 8am breakfast :D

So that's been my lazy relaxing day. Tomorrow 20km to the next cool Albergue. Then we have to figure out Burgos, which is the next bigger city. Apparently its 8km of industrial approach to the city! I am trying to convince Ann to go off-route around Burgos with me. We can enter from the north instead of the east...and come through the castle instead of the shady factories. Sounds way better right?!?

Ok!!! That's all for today!! Its supposed to be slightly cloudy tomorrow so I should really be able to walk more!! And then Sunday its supposed to go back to a normal temp for this time of the year (16C). I can't wait!!! I hate walking in the heat and sun!!!!

---

No comments:

Post a Comment