Pages

Saturday 2 April 2011

Day 5 - a bit of a rest day...

So its Saturday...as of right now I have walked about 100km!! I am pretty impressed by that (sorry there is no mile conversion for all my imperial friends but everything I have only measures in metric).

Anyways - after sleeping hours and hours and hours yesterday (I didn't even have dinner I was so exhausted) and I think I had a bit of sun stroke as it was ridiculously sunny yesterday with no shade...anyways-so I woke up around 8 this morning and slowly packed my bag. I knew breakfast lasted until 1030 so I had heaps of time. I even went up and bought the all you can eat breakfast!!! This wasn't American style and there were no eggs or meat...so I don't really think I got my moneys worth but I had some baguette with cheese and meat and some coco crispies (don't remember the last time I ate chocolate cereal) and oh some canned peaches....not really worth €7.50 but whatever.

So then I slowly made my way out of town. I had considered spending another night in Puente de la Reina but I figured I might as well walk a little bit. So I put my flip flops on (yes I am reduced to hiking in my shower shoes) and headed across town. I stopped at the supermarket and bought a banana and a pear and a little old lady tried talking to me about my feet...she sounded mad but Spanish people tend to talk loud so I can't tell if they are upset or if its just normal.

I also stopped at the farmacia and bought some kind of iodine stuff and some big gauze patches!!

Then I crossed the river and stopped to take a picture of the beautiful old bridge the town is famous for and there I met a nice Estonian girl who now lives in Santiago. So she took a picture of me and I of her and we set off together. Even though she needs to get to Logrono by tomorrow evening (ie.75km) she walked slowly by my side all day! Its so nice having someone to talk to while you are limping along!! She was super interesting too! She said she'll take me out when I reach Santiago :)

Of course we also met the crazy German michael along the way. He took a video of us for his...I don't know why...for some kind of video book he is doing. We had a chat by the fountain in Maneru (most of these n's have the little squiggly thing over them but I don't know how to make that on my phone so its close enough) and then we walked on to Cirauqui. Today's 7.5km took me 4 hours!!! Wow!! That's super slow!! Anyways the Pauliine (the Estonian girl) and I just had a beer at the bar and then she went on to Estrella or wherever she gets to and I limped up to the Albergue.

The lady at the Albergue saw me limping up and had the door open and ready for me! Seriously some people are so nice! She gave me a nice bed in a smaller room and told me where everything was. They have a pilgrims dinner here after mass (the church is right across the road so I will probably head over) it looks like a really pretty church. This is a super quaint town on a hillside with lovely winding streets! I'll try to take some pictures after. I was a bit tired before. I attached here all the pics I took today - including the one from my bedroom window.

Well, now I am having a siesta and then I'll head out again later when the shops open again and have a look around :)


---

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jacquie
    Hope your feet are getting better. For your info 100km =62.137 miles. km x .6= miles.(approx) Better have someone look at those blisters. Don't need infection.

    Thinking of you always ILY
    Gram

    ReplyDelete