Pages

Saturday 9 April 2011

Double the kilometers!

Today I doubled the kilometers from yesterday!! I made it 15km before giving up!! The goal was 20km, but the minimum was 10km - so 15km aint bad! Especially since today was another hot one!! And there were no clouds like we were promised! Ick!!

We had a late start this morning...I slept in until 8am!! Of course that's after going to bed at 4am! We had a wonderful dinner last night (the picture). It was basically just a lot of baked potatoes with a potato stew to go with...but it was fun because we all sat around as a group. Then I helped clean-up since I didn't help cook! After dinner we had "meditation" in the choir of the church. This was mostly kinda cool because we were able to hang out in the top of the church with no one else around - but then we passed some candle around to share our feelings and reason for the camino. I was a bit much...and then we all held hands to share the good vibes...but whatever - it was interesting. And then a few of us proceeded to the bar. We managed to drink them out of bottled beer and had a bit of the local liquor (pancheron...or something). It was good fun! The bartender finally made us go home at 3am! Then we went back to the Albergue and had a fire in the fireplace...the albergue volunteers were with us so it was ok :p. Some of the other pilgrims weren't too happy we were wandering around at 3am - but I am never too happy when they are wandering around at 5am...so we are even :p

So the few of us hung out until about 9am this morning. I packed up my bag and headed out then! There was a crazy canadian guy there. He had a fake leg...and was telling us his crazy adventures. He actually parachuted from a plane and neither of his chutes opened...but he was blown into a mud lake or something and survived and didn't even need the hospital...then later he went scuba diving and got the bends and was in a coma for 2 months. Then it sounds like he was in a super bad car accident and that's how he lost his leg...and the he had a few organ transplants too...but I missed that part.

Anyways...so I headed out at 9am and made it 7km before I had a break in the shade by a fountain! That's where Canadian Ann caught up to me. So we had a snack and a break and then walked on to Belorado - where we arrived at 1:30 to hide from the sweltering heat in the new albergue. There were people from Michigan here!! Amazing!! Lol! They are doing the camino (looks like a dad and daughter)! The dad even said he had been to Lake Michigamme!!! Amazing! They went to stay in the albergue in the old part of town - but after eating Ann and I decided to not go back out in the heat and got beds here. So we been watching movies in the lounge. My reading spanish is pretty good so I understand most of what is happening! They are crap movies and it feels weird to be sitting around watching TV! I feel like I am on holiday...not walking the camino! LOL...

But tomorrow the temperature goes back to what I expected it to be. So we should be able to walk all day! It should be about 16!! Thank goodness! The heat is killing me. But then we should be able to get up to 30km a day and hopefully a few 40km days in the meseta! I am only a day behind schedule - so no worries.

Oh-and the real excitement for today....all the skin on my little toe has come off...its a lot of skin - and of course included my toenail. I think my toe will be deformed forever!!! But it barely hurts at all! As long as I put lots of medicine on it when I walk tomorrow all will be well. Luckily walking doesn't hurt anymore or make me tired. Just the heat keeps me from walking!! And that will be gone tomorrow!!! Yea!!

Ok - back to the horrible movie! Soon dinner and bed at 8:00 so we can get lots of sleep! Tomorrow the goal is a city that makes super good garlic soup!! 24km away!! Goodness - that's more than I walked in the last 2 days combined. If we don't make it I won't be allowed to walk with Ann because we are bad influences and bring out each others lazy sides :p
---

No comments:

Post a Comment