Pages

Tuesday 5 April 2011

The best day of my life!!!!

Some say its when you get married...or when you have your first kid...today is that day for me...

It all started as a long slog from Torres del Rio. Once again I was awake relatively early and on the road by 745. After an amazing breakfast of dried bread and marmalade...what more could you want than an 11km walk to the next town! At least the weather was nice. So I stumbled along in my pink toe shoes (while I think they are amazing they def. Have no support for a person carrying a 25lb backpack and walking over stones). Anyways...head down I trudged along behind the slow English guy...I have attached the pictures of the mileage markers that kept me going first to Viana and then on to Logrono.

Well, after a few hours Viana was in site. Like an old horse going home - my pace quickened...its amazing how when you see what you were looking for (ie. My breaking place) you can suddenly go a lot quicker....I get like that heading towards a pub too!!

Of course Viana is uphill! Isn't that the best place to put a town....so everyone has to walk uphill! So I slogged onwards and followed the yellow arrows and suddenly next to me was...THE SHOE STORE!!! And not just any shoe store, but a hiking shoe store!!! It was like the heavens opened and the angels began to sing!! I walked in and dropped my bag and almost hugged the poor man behind the counter! Thank goodness he spoke English because I don't think I could have managed even hello in Spanish right then!!

I told him I needed new shoes. He showed me a couple we decided against hiking sandals and then we sorted out what size I was!! I tried a few on but my poor fat feet (and damn after walking for 8 days they have gotten even wider) were scrunched in the first few pairs...especially with my mutilated pinky toe. Finally I asked to try on what he told me was their best pair of shoes!!! That was it - the best moment of my life!! It was like putting clouds on my feet (almost). Sale made!!

Of course they were the most expensive shoes in the store as well (there goes any nights in a hotel for me). But wow!!! I can walk again!! Well, mostly! I had finally trained my damn left foot to walk in my barefoot shoes and they struggled to get used to walking in normal shoes. My ankles made a horrible clicking noise the rest of the day...but it didn't hurt so screw it!! I could actually walk over rocks without having to worry about stepping on a sharp or big one and there is so much support under my feet that my backpack felt 5 pounds lighter! And tomorrow it will be lighter!! There is a post office along the way and in the morning I will mail away my terrible boots!!! Hurray!!

So that's my story!! The next 9km were a breeze!! I kept up the slow easy pace and kept walking with the English man...but my feet no longer hurt and tomorrow I might try to get 30km!!! Although its supposed to be pretty hot and sunny tomorrow which kills my hiking ability! Oh well, I have lots of time to rest and relax today! Its quarter past 2 and I am already showered and situated at the Albergue in Logrono! Its a beautiful sunny day and I think I'll head out for a wander around the town! Maybe find a sandwich somewhere and a cold drink!

But yes-the new shoes have saved my camino!! I was ready to give up and take a bus or a taxi!!! Or a plane!! Its kind of hard to walk when your feet hurt!!! Now my feet should be happy and then the rest of me will be happy too!! Fingers crossed the next 600kms are no problem :)

---

4 comments:

  1. well congrats - can't believe you've been walking all that way in those pink glove shoes!! I knew they wouldn't be up to it you donut!

    Happy walking

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you. I was afraid you were thinking of quiting. You are such a fighter. I prayed that the new shoes would brighten up you life. You know I am living my life thru you. hehe...feet feel better already.
    I know you can do it.

    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing what a good pair of shoes can do isn't it? I just wanted to say congrats on all the milage you have done!!!! I love following your blog. It makes me want to get out and take a walk!

    --A. Galloway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather Hermiller8 April 2011 at 17:20

    yay! i'm glad you and your feet are happy. i hope your little toe is doing better too!

    ReplyDelete