Pages

Sunday 17 April 2011

Another good day!

Well, its day 20 and I have knocked out 27km and am showered and at the bar by 3:00pm!! Whew!! Its hot again today so I practically ran the last 5km to get out of the sun! I dropped my stuff at the first albergue and luckily I had to get cash before I could book my bed because I met the Korean ladies outside and they told me there was another Albergue! Its the municipal one so WAY cheaper!! €5 instead of €20!! So I grabbed my bag and apologized to the lady at the first albergue and ran away! The first one looked strange too! Very posh with a lot of non-pilgrims at it!

I might have lost most of my friends for now. Annie is trying to walk to Leon today (another 20km past me) and the guys sound like they are taking the bus to Leon tonight along with Suzie I assume. So we'll see who shows up at the Albergue here in Mansilla tonight! I could use a break from everyone anyways! I just wanna relax and read my book today!
I also feel bad because I stayed at a donation place last night and since I didn't have any money - I couldn't pay anything! I got a bed and dinner! Teach me for not finding an ATM sooner! I couldn't even afford my breakfast! Good thing some other people showed up before I had to pay so I could borrow a euro!

Oh- I also got lost today!! Oops!! It wasn't too bad but I walked an extra like 2-3km this morning before brekkie!! So really I did like 30km today but only got 27km closer to Santiago! I made a friend in my wanderings too! Oops!! Lol - some guy thought I was hitchhiking I think...and since I had no idea what he was saying he finally assumed I was a lost pilgrim and pointed me to the path. Then he showed up at my breakfast restaurant so I smiled...then while I was walking (the whole way today was next to a road) he drove by so I smiled and waved. That might've been a bit too friendly because he turned around and wanted to chat with me! LOL! Feels good to be able to make friends when I look and feel disgusting! I am dirty and my clothes are dirty and I am so full of bug bites! The bugs in this area love me!! And I don't react well to their bites! I woke up with a swollen finger and a swollen eye! Ewww!! Good thing I spent most of the morning by myself so the swollen eye had time to go away!

There are a lot more Spanish people walking now. I don't know if its just because its the weekend and there are some daytrippers out (lots of them have really small backpacks) or if its because it is the week before Easter now and a lot of people do the Camino this week! I hope it doesn't make it had to find a bed going forward!!

I think that's about all that happened today! I am going to enjoy my beer now and read my book and see who walks by!

PS. The picture is the only one I took today of the sunrise on my way out of Bercianos this morning!

---

2 comments:

  1. Great walking Jacquie. So proud of you. Do you still have your walking stick? Maybe the earth is helping you along. You have to start thinking of how this walk is changing you. You are the best already. Pio is back in London.

    Winter here again. Not nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U see Koreans are friendly and useful! ;-)

    ReplyDelete