Pages

Monday 17 January 2011

Pre-trip: Day 5 - (3.5 miles)

Miles Walked:  3.5

I walked to work again today!!  ICK!  Its cold and wet and really rainy.  Good thing I carried my work clothes in my bag!  I was soaking wet when I arrived.  I need to remember to bring a comb next time.  I look a bit blowsy today!!  But I guess it was good practice for trekking in the rain across Spain.  Although I won't be carrying my giant umbrella through Spain, which I found really helpful!!
I am reading all kinds of packing lists to figure out what I want to buy to take!!  I'll have to bring my hiking boots because it will still be cold and probably snowy when I first start.  Which sucks because they are super heavy.  But I think I'll buy a pair of vibram fivefingers (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/) as my spare shoes.  They are supposed to be super comfortable and stuff.  So I think I'll order a pair when I am back in the US in Feb and try them out. 

There is this cool poncho jacket thing.  It has a big humpback so that if fits over your pack.  I need to order one of those too!  They look quite cool (haha) but will keep me dry because it will likely be rainy at the beginning and the end!!

Hmmm - what else.  Oh my backpack!!  Its huge!!  Its 75 litres and most people recommend all you need is like 40-50 litres.  Which means mine is heavier than necessary.  But I am used to carrying it and its worn in and I know it won't fall apart (plus I am NOT paying for an expensive new one).  So I guess it will have to do!  I'll just have to make sure not to fill it up with junk!!  I bought some weights to put in my backpack that I am taking to work - so I can practice walking with a bunch of weight.  I also bought some ankle weights because I am not going to walk to work in my giant hiking boots (they hurt my feet walking on the pavement) so I am put the weights on my ankle to simulate the weight of the boots. 

Lots of planning to do!  My goal is to buy my flights this week!  It will keep me from changing my mind about going - and also - since I'll be returning at a peak flying time for the UK - the sooner I buy my flights the cheaper they will be.  I need to figure out where to fly back from though!!  I want to try to spend a few days somewhere warm and relaxing when I finish :)

No comments:

Post a Comment